tiliqua studio press hire
Tiliqua Studio offers access to a large etching press on a sessional booking system. We operate on the basis of safe and environmentally friendly materials and work practices. We offer access to a press only, with minimal technical support, it is assumed that you will be an experienced printmaker. We do not have any facilities for plate preparation (ie acids/chemicals or aquatint) at this stage. Users are expected to bring their plates pre-prepared and ready to use.
Facilities and equipment include:
- An EnJay E34 etching press (bed size 86.5 X 160 cm)
- Large ‘clean’ sink for soaking paper
- A separate large ‘dirty’ sink for clean-up
- Temporary access to one plan draw and 1/3 of a store cupboard for the duration of the hire
- Space for drying
- Glass benchtop for inking
- Wet and dry working areas
Hiring and cost
- Hire GST inclusive fees are currently
$66 per day,
$350 per (7 day) week
$40 per half day.
- Normal hours of operation are from 10am–5pm daily (different hours may be negotiated).
- Hire of the printmaking area is available for studio artists who are competent printmakers. The artist must be able to work independently or under minimal supervision.
- Fees for hiring the printmaking area cover the cost of maintenance of equipment, insurance, lighting and other overheads.
- Hire fees are to be paid in advance.
- Hire fees are reviewed each November with new rates effective 1 December of that year.
Users of the are expected to supply their own:
- prepared plates,
- hand tools,
- proofing papers,
- rags and
- cleaning agents.
- Users are encouraged to bring their own press blankets.
Conduct for the use of the press
- Respect should be shown to all users of the studio area
- Please keep personal noise (including music) to a reasonable level
- Any damage to the press, equipment or premises is to be reported immediately
- The clean (paper soaking) sink MUST not be used for clean up
- At the end of the day do not assume that you will be the next person to use the press
- Place all rubbish in the bins
- Return all inks, chemicals and solvents to their correct storage areas at the end of the day
- Assist with the cleanliness of common areas such as toilets, sinks, kitchen areas etc
- Clean any work surfaces that you have used including press beds
- Check the floor for any spills and wipe, sweep or wash as necessary
- Clean up oil based inks from glass surfaces firstly with a scraper and then use rags and solvent. If needed, use odourless solvent and follow up with an all purpose cleaner
- Use paper towel for cleaning up water based messes only
- Prints should not be left drying for longer than the minimum time required. If left too long they may be removed and, if unclaimed in the longer term, discarded
- No food or drink is to be taken into or consumed in the printmaking area
- Do not cut materials on workbenches without using a cutting mat
- Only use the glass top benches for inking up. When finished scrape off excess with a spatula and remove the remainder with vegetable oil or an environmentally friendly cleaning product
Using the Press
- Never place sharp or thick items on the printing press as these can damage the bed, blankets and rollers
- Make sure that the bed covers are straight so that these materials are not damaged
- Do not over tighten the rollers as this can damage the rollers and bed
- Always use protective layers eg newsprint between the print and blankets
- When packing up etching presses ensure that your hands are clean before touching the blankets.
- At the end of the day, the press bed should be wound right through to release pressure from the blankets
- When cleaning rubber rollers and their handles never use methylated spirits
- The hirer should be familiar with EnJay presses or similar. However, orientation will be given regardless of familiarity
- Close-toed footwear and protective clothing must be worn while using the press
- Only the hirer shall have access to the press unless otherwise arranged
- No smoking within the building
- Hirer must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol while using the press
- No pets within the building
- We strongly recommend that children not be in the building while the press is in operation
- If you are required to evacuate the building do not pack up your belongings, leave immediately.
- A first aid-kit is available in the rear toilet area
- If someone has a medical condition that may affect them or others while using the printmaking area then they are required to notify us