What we provide / supply
- An EnJay E34 etching press (bed size 86.5 x 160 cm)
- Large ‘clean’ sink for soaking paper
- A separate large ‘dirty’ sink for clean-up
- Temporary access to one plan drawer and 1/3 of a store cupboard for the duration of the hire (if required)
- Space for drying prints
- Glass benchtop for inking
- Wet and dry working areas
What you bring
- your prepared plates,
- printing paper,
- hand tools,
- proofing papers,
- rags and
- cleaning agents.
Users are encouraged to bring their own press blankets, however we can supply these.
Costs and other important details
- Hire fees (GST inclusive) are currently
$40 for a half day
$66 for a full day,
$350 for a full week.
- Hire fees are to be paid in advance.
- The studio is usually open from 10am–5pm daily, but different hours may be negotiated.
- Hire of the printmaking area is available for studio artists who are competent printmakers. The artist must be able to work independently or under minimal supervision.
GUIDELINES FOR TILIQUA STUDIO
Conduct for the use of the press
- Respect should be shown to all users of the studio area
- Please keep personal noise (including music) to a reasonable level
- Any damage to the press, equipment or premises is to be reported immediately
- The clean (paper soaking) sink MUST not be used for clean up
- At the end of the day do not assume that you will be the next person to use the press
- Place all rubbish in the bins
- Return all inks, chemicals and solvents to their correct storage areas at the end of the day
- Assist with the cleanliness of common areas such as toilets, sinks, kitchen areas etc
- Clean any work surfaces that you have used including press beds
- Check the floor for any spills and wipe, sweep or wash as necessary
- Clean up oil based inks from glass surfaces firstly with a scraper and then use rags and solvent. If needed, use odourless solvent and follow up with an all purpose cleaner
- Use paper towel for cleaning up water based messes only
- Prints should not be left drying for longer than the minimum time required. If left too long they may be removed and, if unclaimed in the longer term, discarded
- No food or drink is to be taken into or consumed in the printmaking area
- Do not cut materials on workbenches without using a cutting mat
- Only use the glass top benches for inking up. When finished scrape off excess with a spatula and remove the remainder with vegetable oil or an environmentally friendly cleaning product
Using the Press
- Never place sharp or thick items on the printing press as these can damage the bed, blankets and rollers
- Make sure that the bed covers are straight so that these materials are not damaged
- Do not over tighten the rollers as this can damage the rollers and bed
- Always use protective layers eg newsprint between the print and blankets
- When packing up etching presses ensure that your hands are clean before touching the blankets.
- At the end of the day, the press bed should be wound right through to release pressure from the blankets
- When cleaning rubber rollers and their handles never use methylated spirits
- The hirer should be familiar with EnJay presses or similar. However, orientation will be given regardless of familiarity
- Close-toed footwear and protective clothing must be worn while using the press
- Only the hirer shall have access to the press unless otherwise arranged
- No smoking within the building
- Hirer must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol while using the press
- No pets within the building
- We strongly recommend that children not be in the building while the press is in operation
- If you are required to evacuate the building do not pack up your belongings, leave immediately.
- A first aid-kit is available in the rear toilet area
- If someone has a medical condition that may affect them or others while using the printmaking area then they are required to notify us.