Hornby Lighthouse, South Head
watercolour on 300gsm Fabriano 100% cotton paper
40 x 30 cm, framed
The unusual deep red stripes of Hornby Lighthouse cut bold against the shimmering waters of the Tasman Sea. Built following the tragic shipwrecks of the Dunbar and the Catherine Adamson in 1857, the Hornby Lighthouse entered operation the following year. It’s named after Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby, Commander in Chief of the British Pacific Fleet in the 1860s.